The Office of the State Fire Marshal recently offered these tips to safeguard your home from wildfires:
• Create a defensible space. Allow for at least 30 feet of space surrounding your home that is “lean, clean and green.”
• Know where your gas, electric and water main shut off controls are and how to turn them off in case of a leak or shortage.
• Know how to use a fire extinguisher.
• Keep on hand hoses with adjustable nozzles that can be placed around the house, as well as sprinklers that could be placed on the roof and near above-ground fuel tanks.
• Keep on hand fire tools such as a rake, axe, hand/chainsaw, bucket and a shovel.
• If you see a wildfire, dial 911 and be prepared to give the following information: your name and phone number, your address, location and direction of the fire, if you know how it started, how big it is and the color of the smoke.
For more information, visit www.wsp.wa.gov/fire/firemars.htm.