Recycling materials were dumped in the roadway after a recycling truck driver noticed a fire had broken out in the back of his truck. Police believe the fire was caused by a butane torch that had been placed in a recycling bin (photos courtesy of the Sammamish Police Department’s Facebook page).

Recycling truck dumps haul of materials after fire breaks out in rear of vehicle

  • Friday, April 7, 2017 5:24pm
  • News

A recycling truck driver in Sammamish was forced to dump his haul of materials on the roadway on Thursday after a fire broke out in the back of his truck.

Sammamish police reported that a driver with Republic Services noticed smoke billowing from the rear of the truck while driving his route. To help disperse the fire, the driver dumped his load on to the roadway, approximately near the corner of Southeast 23rd Street and 200th Avenue Southeast, and called 911 to report the issue. The Sammamish Police Department and Eastside Fire and Rescue responded to the scene, as did a supervisor with Republic Services.

The fire department found a butane torch, which had been placed in a recycling bin and which the first responders believe was the cause of the fire.

Canisters that contain toxic material, such as butane and propane bottles, are considered hazardous waste. Sammamish police instructed community members to dispose of their hazardous waste via King County’s Wastemobile or the hazardous waste drop-off location at the Factoria Transfer Station, located at 13800 SE 32nd St. in Bellevue.

Hazardous waste includes items marked with signs of ‘Caution,’ ‘Warning,’ ‘Danger’ and/or ‘Poison.’

A recycling truck driver in Sammamish was forced to dump his haul of materials on the roadway on Thursday after a fire broke out in the back of his truck. Sammamish police reported that a driver with Republic Services noticed smoke billowing from the rear of the truck while driving his route. To help disperse […]

A recycling truck driver in Sammamish was forced to dump his haul of materials on the roadway on Thursday after a fire broke out in the back of his truck. Sammamish police reported that a driver with Republic Services noticed smoke billowing from the rear of the truck while driving his route. To help disperse […]

More in News

The Issaquah Senior Center held an end-of-year party to celebrate the first year under city leadership. Nicole Jennings/staff photo
Issaquah Senior Center celebrates a year under new leadership

City took over Issaquah Senior Center at beginning of 2017

Mystery person leaving trash in resident’s driveway | Sammamish Police Blotter, Nov. 23 – Dec. 2

The blotter consists of officers’ accounts of crimes and other incidents in… Continue reading

Issaquah Community Services a ‘godsend’ for woman with disability

Organization hopes to raise $100,000 in sole annual fundraiser

Eastside Catholic senior chosen for Pacific Honors Ensemble Program in Australia

Eastside Catholic senior Emmie Head was named to the Pacific Honors Ensemble… Continue reading

Village Theatre’s ‘Newsies’ offers dynamic show, inspiring life lesson | Review

Disney musical examines age-old struggle between haves and have-nots

‘Great careers’ conference to inspire local students

The Issaquah Chamber of Commerce Education Committee is partnering with the Issaquah… Continue reading

Council mulls tax exemption for boost in Central Issaquah affordable housing

Transit-oriented development project set to include 176 units of affordable housing

Most Read